Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Coconut, Coconut, Coconut!


Coconut, coconut, coconut.

Coconut has changed my life to the core. Considering how much coconut is in my diet now,  I may one day become a coconut tree. If this were the case, I'd be helping a lot of folks with their health.

It was a long road to this point, though. As a child, I used to turn my head at the white birthday cakes with that sugary-sweet, sticky, creamy icing and tiny shards of cardboard shavings sprinkled on top. Indeed, it took decades before I developed a happy connection with coconut. I had no one to guide me.

I remember the first coconut water that I sipped from an actual coconut. It was 1988, and I was on my honeymoon, riding Maui's Sugar Cane Train in the sweltering hot Hawaiian sun. The novelty of the ride and location, combined with the presentation of this drink overcame my resistance, and I sipped from the straw, oh-so cautiously. At the time, I was drinking mainly fruit juice and carbonated soda drinks, so this low calorie, unsweetened beverage was too bland for my taste buds to appreciate at the time, even in Hawaii.

That seems so long ago, so far away. Sometimes it takes several attempts at something new before it grabs you.

Because I have been working in a natural food store for most of the last decade, I've had the opportunity to try many varieties of coconut products. How lucky for me. I have liked them all, but some more than others. I pay attention to the quality of ingredients, their preparation, and how they've been stored. I prefer those with low-sodium, natural sugar and no added flavorings. These products feel good on a deep level, as if my body knows they are beneficial. Most of the buzz these days about coconut water touts its natural electrolytes, which are noteworthy for post-workout recovery. However, I mainly like to use it as a base for my morning smoothies. Its yang energy in the summer months helps me melt off those inevitable five pounds that I put on during the colder months.

In the winter, it's all-out coconut milk for me. The yin energy helps me to feel satisfied and keeps me warm. Again, I choose the unflavored, unsweetened kind, so I can add my own stevia or xylitol if I want a little more healthy sweetness. When I add cocoa powder and organic vanilla extract to the blender, I get the beginnings of a wonderful morning smoothie.

I make a point to eat one to four teaspoon of coconut oil every day. At 4.5 g of fat per serving, it's my go-to topping for hot toast, with or without the jam. I melt a teaspoon of coconut butter on cooked rice to add a sweet nutty taste to my plate. And I adore eating fresh local eggs cooked gently in a teaspoon of good quality coconut oil. When I drizzle a teaspoon of coconut oil on a simple baked sweet potato, I've created a happy meal fit for the Queen.

As a topical treatment it makes an extraordinary massage oil. And, its high Vitamin E content makes it effective for treating minor sunburn. Who knew?

The better quality coconut oils have pure ingredients and, when left unrefined, have a long shelf life of up to 7 years. It is one of the most stable oils and is highly resistant to rancidity. Curiously, coconut oil forms a butter when the temperature falls below 70ºF.

I cannot conclude my happy affair with coconut without mentioning that in my morning shower I like to pull coconut oil through my teeth. Does this sound strange? This ritual starts my day in a healthy way, removing toxins and bacteria that have collected during the night. It remineralizes my tooth enamel, and reduces inflamed gum tissue. Sounds weird, doesn't it?

Yeah, well, I say Go Coconut! :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment